This weekend course is an opportunity to study the basics of frame drum and learn how to accompany traditional Turkish and Greek melodies with a traditional musician from Istanbul. It’s open to participants of any level, starting from the complete beginners.
In the first part of the
We will learn about the role of percussion in different traditions of Turkey and Greece and practice accompaniment to traditional melodies, with all their subtle rules and contexts.
(Fatih and Borys play together in a Greek-Turkish music duo – check them out here: https://youtu.be/wryTr0BLsWU )
THE COURSE COVERS:
- warm-up exercises to increase the sensitivity in hands and responsiveness in the body
- step-by-step learning of the ‘lap style’ technique on frame drum
- basics of rhythmic vocalization system based on Konnakol
- Bodies in Pulse/Pulse in Bodies – a body-voice method to deepen the sense of rhythm and pulse, build up an ability to improvise and practice mindfulness in movement
- introduction to traditional rhythms from Turkey
- introduction to frame drums in traditional Turkish music with Fatih Ermete on Turkish oud, saz
andlute of Istanbul.
- the practice of accompaniment to
Willows Nest, Boxhagener Str 61
→ INVESTMENT FOR THE WHOLE COURSE: €110 (paid till 12.06) / €130 (after 12.06)
Single day: €60/€70
→ SIGN UP: firstname.lastname@example.org
To book a spot transfer the full price to the account given in the response. The spot is non-refundable, but you can pass it your friend.
→ NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: max. 6 people
→ INSTRUMENTS: we offer drums to use for the course!
→ Borys Slowikowski: musician, educator, performer
→ Fatih Ermete: born in Istanbul. Studied European and Turkish music in Çanakkale University in 2007-2011. Finished his master studies in 2014 at Rostock Conservatory. Worked with great masters of Turkish and Greek music. Currently works on Traditional music from various parts of Turkey and Greece.