DATES TO CHOOSE:
- Saturday 27.04 / 11:00-13:30
- Saturday 4.05 / 11:00-13:30
Willows Nest / Boxhagener Str. 61 / Berlin F-hain
€25/€35 (after 4 days before the class)
SIGN UP via contact form (left) or email@example.com. To book a spot transfer the full price to the account given in the response.
DISCOUNTS are available for students, unemployed and for our ongoing students.
DRUMS: we provide the drums for the course of the workshop & offer help to find a good instrument for purchase ♥
This introductory class is an invitation to the hand frame drums, open to the participants of any level, starting from the complete beginners. Together we will explore the sounds of this ancient instrument, build up an ability to play, learn different traditional grooves and awake our rhythmic creativity. We are going to study the basics of the technique according to the approach of the innovative percussionist and composer Zohar Fresco.
Special focus will be dedicated to our primary instrument: the body – it’s posture, responsiveness, the role of breath in the musical creation and how it helps to increase one’s sense of rhythm. To cultivate a more intuitive feel, we will make use of different body practices. All about letting it flow :)
THE CLASS COVERS:
- warm-up exercises to increase the sensitivity in the hands and responsiveness in the body
- getting to know different kinds of traditional frame drums of Middle East, Southern Europe and North Africa
- step-by-step learning of the basic strokes in ‘lap style’ technique
- basics of rhythmic vocalization system based on Konnakol
- Bodies in Pulse/Pulse in Bodies – a body-voice method to deepen the sense of rhythm and pulse and build up an ability to improvise
- exploration of different rhythmic traditions on the frame drum
The workshop is led by Borys Slowikowski: musician, educator performer and psychologist. He has studied frame drums from Zohar Fresco since 2010. Has also studied from i.a. Bijan Chemirani, Jacek Ostaszewski, Sabina Giannatou and Efren Lopez. Apart from music, he is involved in movement improvisation and performance field as well as in varied forms of somatic work like mindfulness, psychogenic training, BMC, martial arts. In his teaching he uses those methods and experiences to make learning easier and more intuitive.